Sunday, October 14, 2012

Vampire Diaries (Season 1) Review

The Vampire Diaries
-Season 1-


Vampires are my absolute favorite kind of supernatural monster, so when I stumbled across The Vampire Diaries on Netflix I had to watch it. I was instantly hooked after the first episode and found that the series plot line was so intising, especially with the many plot twists and the hanging suspense at the end of every episode. The CW series Vampire Diaries is an American supernatural-fantasy horror series that is based off the novels written by L.J. Smith. I haven't had a chance to read the books, but by the success of the televsion series, they have to be a good read. And I know what your thinking.. "Great another vampire series like Twilight..", but this series is not a lame over-sentimental show, instead it is an intense one focusing more on fierce vamps with a darker plot line. There is a love triangle between the main characters, but I found that it really gave the series more excitment than anything and I found it difficult to pick a side. Another reason I really enjoyed this series is because I found all of the characters to be very captivating. All their roles were crucial to the success of the series and they evolved quickly from the beginning of season one.





Meet the cast:
  • Nina Dobrev as Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce
    • Plays a dual role of Katherine Pierce, a vampire who is in a love triangle with two human brothers (Sefan and Damon Salvator) during the American Civil War. Kathrines doppelganger is Elena, who is human, but also caught in the same love triangle with the same brothers but they are now vampires.
  • Paul Wesley as Stefan Salvator
    • Male protagonist of the series and also noted as the series 'hero'. He is a vampire, but refrains from human blood and drinks animal blood instead to try and keep his human side somewhat intact. Stefan is also Elena's boyfriend during this season.
  • Ian Somerhalder as Damon Salvator
    • Damon also a vampire is the older brother of Stefan. He noted as an anti-hero in the series , he also falls for Elena also, but it is kept secret to avoid conflict.
  • Steven R. McQueen as Jeremy Gilbert
    • Jeremy is Elena's brother who is emotionally crippled from the death of their parents. He is portrayed as a troubled teen who uses drugs to cope with their absence. He is in love with Viki Donovan, who also uses drugs, but she is dating Tyler Lockwood. This causes confict between the two boys.
  • Sara Canning as Jenna Sommers
    • The legal gaurdian and aunt of Elena and Jeremy Gilbert.
  • Katerina Grahm as Bonnie Bennett
    • Elena Gilbert's best friend and also a close friend of Caroline Forbes. She starts the series out being a normal high school teen, but then discovers she is a witch with supernatral powers that grow stronger as season one progresses.
  • Candice Accola as Caroline Forbes
    • Close friend of Elena and Bonnie. She is also the daughter of the Sheriff of Mystic Falls, where the story takes place. Caroline's character is shown as superfical and flat in the beginning of the show. As the show progresses she evolves into a more mature teen and plays in major parts of the series. She is involved with Damon Salvator in the begining of the series and then ends up dating Matt Donovan.
  • Zach Roerig as Matt Donovan
    • Matt Donovan, brother of Viki Donovan, is portayed as Elena's ex-boyfriend and first love, he is still in love with Elena, but is dating Caroline Forbes. He is also the quarterback of the Mystic Falls Highschool football team where he plays with his best friend, Tyler Lockwood
  • Kayla Ewell as Vicki Donovan
    • Matt Donovan's older sister who has a drug problem. She is usually being taken care of by her brother due to the fact that their mother left them. She dates Tyler Lockwood unexclusivly (not by choice) and because Tyler treats her wrongly she falls for Elena's brother, Jeremy, who is in love with her.
  • Michael Trevino as Tyler Lockwood
    • Tyler Lockwood is the son of the Mayor of Mystic Falls of whom he has a poor relationship with. He is illustrated as a concited and egotistic as well as bully in season one. He also rivals with Jeremy Gilbert due to their love triangle with Viki Donovan.
  • Matt Davis as Alaric Saltzman
    • Is the Mystic Falls Highschool history teacher that comes to Mystic Falls in hopes of killing Damon Salvator because he believes that he killed his wife. He finds that Damon did not kill his wife but changed her into a vampire by her own choice. The two men become friends.

6 comments:

  1. I've always been interested in the Vampire Diaries. I've heard great things about it and the cast. Though you outline every character really well with fantastic pictures, I'm still confused on what happens and how everyone's connected to everyone else... But I suppose that comes with the tv show series territory. Youre never supposed to understand anything until the very end.

    Im really intrigued now. I need to watch this show on Netflix! :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like horror and the supernatural then I really recommend that you start watching!I literally found myself not being able to turn off Netflix for hours because this show had me so intrigued. I didn't want to spoil all the good details of the series, but thank you for your comment I appreciated your feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok. I am not real sure but I will give it a go. I have no preconceived notions about the show. Although to me it looks a lot like 90210, just undead? I can kind of get into True Blood, and that's about it. I couldn't do Buffy when I was younger, but who knows? Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just started getting into True Blood and i'm so obsessed with it as well. This has more drama in it I feel like, but nonetheless I really enjoyed it. It gets super intense in the 2nd and third season! but no problem, I'm happy to provide you with good flicks and shows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just got to season 3! It's super dark and intense, the plot really thickens as the seasons go on.

    ReplyDelete