Sunday, October 28, 2012

Scream (1996) a review by That Film Guy

After watching the original Scream (1996) film I was excited to hear what other people had to say about it. I thought that it was an awesome beginning to a super slasher series. This movie had me at the edge of my seat wondering and waiting to see who 'Ghost Face' was going to attack next. I found a review of Scream written by "That Film Guy" or better known as Thomas Patrick. He has his own website and reviews plenty of movies of all different genres, so I found his review credible. 



 Patrick starts out by stating that the horror genre over the years has changed in style drastically, but the film Scream has really captured what true horror is all about. The director of the film Wes Craven has already dug deep into horror and hes a director that really knows what hes talking about when it comes to horror films. The film Scream begins with the protagonist Sidney Prescott, it illustrates her trying to cope with the murder of her mother of one year prior when the film begins. Sidney is frightened when she learns that there is another killer loose in the town of Greensboro. One night when Sidney is waiting for her best friend Tatum to come over she receives a mysterious phone call from the killer named 'Ghost Face' and then she is attacked. Her boyfriend, Billy, is a suspect at this point and was arrested for questioning. While Billy is in jail, Sidney receives another call from the mysterious killer. The town sheriff, Dewey, the local news reporter Gale Weathers and a horror film expert randy try to use the clues from horror films to catch this sick attacker.


Patrick then goes on to share that the movie was originally called Scary Movie, but Scream suited the film better. At first when the film came out people weren't sure if they could think of this film as your typical horror movie. After seeing top actress Drew Barrymore was present in the film and murdered not too shortly after the movie began it was evident that no one was safe from this slasher, not even someone like Barrymore with high Hollywood stature. Patrick said this action was done on purpose by Wes Craven to get that first shock right out of the audience. 'That Film Guy' thinks that this film was excellently casted and it shows a lot for the cast members to show the kind of emotion that goes with this film. I couldn't agree more with him either, the cast members really did a good job of coming into their characters. He talks about how the sequels were also a good addition to the original film, but will never match up to it, as it cannot be duplicated. I think hes right and wrong. I think that the original is unique and it will never loose its luster, but like I said before I think that the original set up a good back drop for an awesome slasher series. Patrick ends by asking his viewers, "Do you like scary movies?". For me, that's a big HELL YES! but what about you guys? Is scary movies your thing?

9 comments:

  1. I think everyone likes a good scary movie. Especially now with halloween right around the corner. I remember watching this movie when it first came out when I was young and I remember being just terrified. I haven't thought about watching it again until I read your post. Make me want to watch it and see if it's just as scary now that I'm older. I think if a movie is made right it's timeless and can always go back and be watched no matter how old it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that I always love a good and timeless film. This is one of those films that scares you with true horror and I think that's what makes it so great and timeless. I thought it was just as scary watching it the second time around.

      Delete
  2. Your post is so detailed, its pretty cool. I absolutely hate scary movies, from any time period. I can't deal with the suspense or the freaky music. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm too emotional in general, I get too invested in any movie I watch and it all feels too real for me. I envy your ability to watch scary movies constantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest when I was growing up scary movies weren't my thing either. I would always hide under the covers first chance I got. Now that i'm older I can't get enough of them. I guess my perspective just changed over time lol but thanks!

      Delete
  3. I love scary movies, but I can never watch them alone because for some reason I get way too freaked out that way. I really enjoyed reading your post, it had a great flow and makes me want to watch a scary movie soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks:) I hope I can persuade you to watch more scary movies, they really aren't that bad once you can accept most of them are fake. Thanks for the feedback.

      Delete
  4. Scream was the best! It did change everything. I remember seeing it in the theater's when it first came out. I also remember going back and seeing it 3 more times because it was so different. I like the whole series, they're all different and fun and completely sarcastic. I can't wait to take in Activity, hopefully this weekend. I am like you, I can't get enough of the scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scream is really one of those timeless films that would be hard to forget. I have watched it more times than I can remember by now, but it still seems to scare the hell out of me.

      Delete
  5. I liked scream, I just hate when they use a film too much and make the series too long or drawn out. It's all money versus purity after a while and sometimes i'm not sure which prevails.

    ReplyDelete