Sunday, October 7, 2012

"Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark" (2011) Did the remake flop or make it to the top?

Are you afraid of the dark? If you weren't I assure you that you will be after watching "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" the 2011 remake of the original horror film that was made in 1973. I haven't seen the original, but I heard its one of those films that would scar a child for life! I wanted to get another opinion on the film to see if it could live up to the standards of the first. I stumbled upon an article reviewing the film titled "Review 'Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark' is traditionally scary" from CNN-IBN (Cable News Network-Indian Broadcasting Network). 



The article starts off by talking about how there is a distinction between horror and gore. When speaking of gore it doesn't necessarily mean that it is also a horror. Horror films don't have to be gory instead they can scare the hell out of you from the things that truly haunt you. Things such as the mystery of who is hiding in your closet or whats creeping under your bed. Its a shame, but most films have lost their horror aspect in most  recent "horror" films. They rely on the gore and special affects to scare their viewers. 



The writer summarizes the film shortly by starting off by introducing the main characters in the movie, Alex is an architect who restores old run down mansions with his girlfriend Kim move into a huge old Gothic style mansion. Sally, Alex's daughter comes to live with them. It becomes apparent quickly that her relationship towards both of them are sour, and because of that she is very remote from them. Sally soon after starts hearing voices coming from the downstairs basement that are asking her to come play with her. Sally agreed to the strange creatures and unknowingly invites the creatures to haunt and terrorize her and everyone in the house. 


The film accomplished exactly what it set out to do, "make you afraid of the dark." asserted the writer. They praise the film "Don't be afraid of the dark" (2011) because of this reason and because its not gory and it scares you by whats creeping in the darkness instead. This film stayed true to the original film throughout. Also, the creatures from the remake resembled the originals with great success. This was a great horror film because of the fact that the special effects were done well but they were not the main focus of the film or made it a success. There is only one flaw the article found in the film and that is that it never explained why the creatures wanted little children or their teeth. Even so this movie was a awesome remake in the U.S. and India. 




I most definitely agree with this article in the sense that it respectfully illustrates a successful horror film. I enjoyed how the article distinguished between gore and horror because I do feel like those are two words commonly misused. My recommendation is if you haven't seen it.. you should! This is a remake you shouldn't pass up.

4 comments:

  1. Your blog title poses an interesting question about this film remake. Did it remake flop, or make it to the top? You answer the question from the perspective of the critics. I saw the question and immediately thought about box office. When it came to money, this film flopped. It made 24 million against a 25 million budget, failing to recoup the initial cost, not to mention advertising and press which can cost an additional 25 million. Financially, this film flopped.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this film did flop financially and I really appreciate the feedback. Yet, looking at the aspect of a great horror remake it did stay true to the original that is still known till this day. For that reason the film was a success. I answered from the perspective of the critics because it was more pointed towards my blog topic and fellow horror movie watchers that were looking for a good horror remake that did ultimately stay true to the original film. This review also came from Cable News Network-Indian Broadcasting Network and I found it to be interesting to get a different perspective of the movie outside of the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually started this movie on netflix. I wasnt able to finish it let alone get really good into it, I think i was definitly still in the beginning. The scene where the girl puts the pillow over the vent that leads to her dads room, and the creatures were like her names Sally, I believe. It wasnt like I didnt want to finish but some other things caught my attention long story short, after reading your blog on this movie, I definitly want to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of the movie and have no preconceived judgments about. I like a great spooky movie that makes people jump. I am not much into gore, unless it is from the old 1970's and 80's low-budget movies. Gore for the sake of gore is not fun to me. Having a theater full of people and watching them all jump in unison is a small thrill for me. I'm looking forward to insidious and the Paranormal 4, this month. I like your blog, keep up the good work. Your always giving me movies to go see.

    ReplyDelete