Sunday, November 4, 2012

Review of Prom Night (2008)

 Let me start out by giving you a little background on the film, the main protagonist Donna Keppel is attending her senior prom and its supposed to be one of the best nights of her life. She thinks she safe from the terrors of her past, yet tonight on her prom night is the night they come back to haunt her. One man who terrorized her in her past, who she thought had left her alone for good, is back. Now she must spend all of prom night trying to find a way to escape the cruel and ruthless violence and destruction that her obsessed killer has planned for her and all her friends.
Prom Night (2008) is a crappy remake of the original film Prom Night (1980) with actress Jamie Lee Curtis as the protagonist. I was extremely disappointed with the film created in 2008. The film was pretty much plot less and gives horror movies a bad name. From the beginning of the film we are told who the killer is and what he wants from Donna and the teens. There are a bunch of the expected killings in this movie where the main characters are lured into the darkness and then killed. This was upsetting, they could of had so much more substance present in the film to make this a great one, but in my opinion it was an epic flop for viewers and in the box office. 
This film had poor acting and a terrible script. The killer was only scary because he was labelled as "the killer". The film was repetitive to me and I found myself wanting to turn it off. I didn't see any awesome horror scenes that would even put this in the category of horror film, the most I saw was a puddle of blood on the floor. It had the typical "scary movie" strategy of having the character hide under the bed, hide in the closet, or "Oh my God, there's a man with a knife behind me in the mirror!"... I feel like I should just let all of you know that this was a waste of a Friday night for me. I didn't take much away from this film other than it was a film poorly constructed and that was overly advertised for something so crappy and disappointing. If anyone else saw it I would enjoy your feedback as well.

10 comments:

  1. You know, your review was pretty much on point with what every other critic in the world said about this movie. They all basically said it sucked too. I was never planning on watching this movie anyways, but if the boyfriend or anyone else suggests we watch it one night I will slap them and tell them to find better tastes in movies. thanks for the overview and review, so helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome! and yes the movie was all around terrible. I really couldn't find one review either that said this was a good flick. This film was just so poorly put together. I watched two bad movies this week from my boyfriends suggestion... won't be doing that again. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness I have seen this movie and it is such a waste of time, I seriously just kept watching because I was bored and the acting was so bad I just could not look away. I agree with your review on the movie, a horrible waste of time and super cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. I found myself wanting to find another movie right in the middle of this film. I was extremely bored also. I think that they could of made this film good, but again, it was poorly put together.

      Delete
  4. Oh my God you are so right, i think i lasted 15 min with this movie, until I looked at my sister and was like really Melanie, this was so bad, you are so right about it giving horror movies a bad name, fun fact the main character she actually graduated from a high school here in tampa called Gaither

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually didn't know that. That's a pretty neat fact. I went to Bloomingdale Senior high school here in the area and my high schools layout was the exact same as Gaither's. We were known as sister schools.

      Delete
  5. Hated It!

    On the other side. I finally went and saw Paranormal 4 and Insidious over the weekend. Paranormal 4 was boring. I actually nodded off for a few minutes. My girlfriend said my snoring ruined the movie for her, which is why I saw two horror movies in one weekend.
    Insidious was pretty well put together. Ethan Hawke can usually only play himself and he does it poorly at best. This time though I think he nailed himself pretty well. The whole story was creepy and fun from the beginning.
    I was surprised that I didn't like this installment of Paranormal. Usually they are predictable but their is still an element of surprise. Not so much on this installment. What a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked the film Insidious. I haven't seen Paranormal Activity 4 yet, but I heard that it wasn't all that great. I didn't really bother to see it also because like you said they are getting to be pretty predictable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watch Chained. Messed with my head a bit.

    ReplyDelete