Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Review of Todd Martin's Horror Film Review

Film Review: 
Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988)



After doing some short searching on the world wide web I discovered many other blogs just dedicated to horror films. My favorite place that I came across is called www.horrornews.net and they have an abundant amount of horror movies to read and discuss about as well trailers, upcoming horror movies and even summary and reviews on books regarding horror. I found a short synopsis and a review of Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers (1988) by Todd Martin in the general horror movie review section. 

In the review of the film, Mr. Martin first begins with a short synopsis. Which tell us more or less that after ten years of Michael Myers being dead he returns to his hometown of Haddonfield to begin his slayings again, but this time he isn't going after Laurie (like he had in the series previously). Instead Myers decides he is going to go after Laurie's daughter, Jamie. Nothing will stop him from trying to get her and he will slay anyone that gets in his way. Michael's old psychiatrist Dr. Loomis will try to put an end to the madness before its just too late!

Mr. Martin then goes on to review the film. I liked how in his review he included why the 4th Halloween movie was his favorite and the others in the series are not. I have to completely agree with Mr. Martin when he states, "Without a doubt the Halloween series is one of the most successful and influential horror film series of all time." and I find this to true in my opinion also because when I was younger Michael was the only horror monster to grab my undivided attention! 
"In my opinion Halloween 4 was probably the last good movie of the franchise. I thought that part 5 was pretty much just part 4 all over again and brought in the silly and confusing Thorn cult into the mix. Part 6 was a muddled mess of a film (though the Producer’s Cut is a little better), and H20 was a cinematic abortion. Halloween Resurrection is high on my list of worst movies ever made, and Zombie’s remake and sequel were pretty bad too. One of the reasons that I really like part 4 so much (in addition that it brings Michael and Loomis back) is that it just catches the feel of the first two films."

I liked the fact that he was short and concise in his explanation and opnion of the other movies in the series without losing focus on the actual film itself. At the same time that I believe the 4th Halloween film is the best well put together one in the series, I also believe that the first two movies really added to the excitement of the 4th. Mr. Martin's review goes from talking about his favorite part in the film to how the story-line is very plausible and flows well with the first two films in the series. He also shared with his readers that he thinks Michael as a character is more "hardcore" in the 4th Halloween as opposed to the others. He describes the multiple ways he killed his victims besides his famous butcher knife and I think the small detail he adds in the review really makes the review that much better.








No comments:

Post a Comment